Let’s face it. We’ve all experienced dry and damaged hair. Some of us are tired of store-bought products that only mask the problem, temporarily. What if I told you it’s easy to make your own hair products? It’s rewarding and saves you a lot of cash. Here are three natural DIY hair gel recipes for your curly hair!
DIY Flaxseed & Shea Butter Curling Custard
This all-natural shine-enhancing curl custard (gel/oil) provides a firm hold for curl definition, while helping to restore moisture to the hair. Flaxseeds are rich in Vitamin E and Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega 3 may help in hair loss prevention, hair thinning, and dry scalp and dandruff. Flaxseeds help prevent breakage by enhancing elasticity. Shea butter is filled with Vitamins E and A, plus essential fatty acids, that will help add moisture to the hair.
- ¼ cup of Ground Flaxseeds
- ¼ cup of African Shea Butter
- 2 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp of Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp of Pure Honey
- 3 drops of Essential Oil
- Heat up the ground flaxseeds (using double boiler).
- Add shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and pure honey.
- Stir until melted (on medium heat).
- Once oil separates, use a fine mesh strainer to extract the oil.
- Add essential oil.
- Refrigerate for 45 minutes, until solid.
- Remove from the refrigerator, and whip with a hand mixer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Store it in an airtight container.
DIY Hair Gel with Aloe Vera & Gelatin
Aloe Vera promotes hair growth, soothes your scalp, and it will condition your hair and lock in nutrients & hydration. Gelatin is a protein derived from collagen. Research shows that gelatin can improve hair thickness and growth. It contains Omega-3 fatty acids, phospholipids, vitamin E, and magnesium. Gelatin promotes growth by slowing down hair breakage and split ends!
- 1 Aloe Vera Plant
- 1 tbsp of gelatin powder
- 1 tbsp of sweet almond oil
- Essential Oil
- Extract gel from the Aloe Vera plant with a spoon, and set aside.
- Pour ¼ cup of cold water in a bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp of gelatin powder; let sit for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of room-temperature water; boil on medium heat, then remove from burner.
- Add ¼ cup of aloe vera gel.
- Add sweet almond oil and essential oil. Stir together.
- Pour mix in an air-tight container, and let it cool for 1 hour.
DIY Flaxseed Gel/Soufflé
Define your curls with a smooth, soft finish. This all-natural flaxseed gel (with Jojoba Oil) will keep your hair frizz-free and shiny.
- ½ cup of flaxseeds
- 1 tbsp of Jojoba oil
- Vitamin E Oil
- Essential Oil
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Add ½ cup of flaxseeds, and boil on medium heat.
- Wait until it becomes frothy & white on top.
- Use a fine mesh strainer to separate the gel.
- Add 1 Tsp Pure Jojoba Oil.
- Add 1 Tsp Vitamin E (like Jason’s).
- Add some essential oil.
- Store in an airtight container.
If you like these DIY hair gel recipes for natural hair, you can check out some more, along with tips & beauty hacks, if you follow me on Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube Channel. Let’s craft nurturing hair products together!
Featured Image via Instagram