Ever wonder how to get those Pinterest-worthy looks with your own hair? Looking for new ways to take your style to the next level? I know I always am. As an award-winning stylist and international styling educator, I’ve compiled a list of some of my favorite styling tricks and hair hacks from all over. Keep reading to find ways to step up your styling game and don’t forget to have fun!
#1: Hide Those Elastics!
A quick and easy way to add polish and finish any braid or ponytail.
- Once your elastic is secure, insert an extra long hairpin up through the bottom of the elastic.
- Wrap a small piece of hair around the elastic until it’s covered.
- Thread the ends of the piece through the top of the hairpin.
- Push the hairpin down through the elastic and pull out from the bottom.
#2: Use Hair Padding
Wear big beautiful buns without needing a ton of hair. You can purchase hair pads and donuts in different shapes and sizes.
- Create a low ponytail around the base of the head.
- Secure hair padding above ponytail with bobby pins.
- Backcomb the top layer of the ponytail.
- Flip the hair up and over the hair padding.
- Pin into place.
#3: Use a Metal-Tailed Comb for Smooth Ponytails
There’s nothing worse than finishing your ponytail and noticing bumps where it should be sleek and smooth. Instead of brushing or combing them to the center, try using the tail of a metal-tailed comb. Weave the tail through the bumpy area and gently pull toward the ponytail. You can also use this trick to smooth out parting lines when French braiding.
#4: Make Clip-In Hair Flowers Using Extensions
Hair accessories are a fun way to add texture and pops of color to any style.
- Attach synthetic tape in extensions in the color of your choice.
- Braid one strand of your natural hair together with extensions into a traditional three-strand braid.
- Pancake the braid. Slowly roll it, shaping your rosette as you go.
- Secure everything with bobby pins.
- Spray with hairspray or use a volumizing powder. I love Design.Me Puff Me.
- Make several more flower braids if you want.
#5: Use Topsy-Tails to Create Boho-Textured Updos
These small inside-out ponytails are a secret hair hack for all sorts of incredible looks.
- Take a small section of hair and secure it with a clear elastic.
- Above the elastic, use two fingers to create a small hole.
- Flip the ponytail over and through the hole.
- Spray with volumizing powder and pull apart the twists you’ve just created.
- Pull the elastic up by tugging on each side of the ponytail.
- Repeat this process by covering your last section with each new one.
#6: Try a Snake Braid
A quick and fun way to transform a three-strand braid.
- Create a three-strand braid.
- Hold the center strand very tightly.
- Pull the left and right strands straight up.
#7: Rope Braids Create Beautiful Updos in Half the Time
Don’t have a lot of time? This hair hack will give you a beautiful updo without spending the time curling your hair.
- Section the hair into three ponytails at the back of the head. The height is up to you and will determine where the style falls.
- Create a rope braid with each ponytail.
- Spray each with volumizing powder and pull apart and texturize.
- Wrap the right one up and over the left braid. Pin into place.
- Wrap the left one up and over the right one. Pin into place.
- Use the center one to fill in your updo and create balance. Pin into place.
- Gently pinch and pull until full and even.
#8: Quickly Curl Hair with a Water Bottle and Blow Dryer
This viral hair hack really works! Move over, MacGyver.
- Cut off the top of a large water bottle.
- Cut a small square on the side of the bottle that will fit the nozzle of your blow dryer.
- Insert ends of hair into water bottle.
- Put the nozzle of your blow dryer into the hole on the side.
- Turn on and let the magic happen.
#9: Fake a Big Boho Braid Using a Series of Ponytails
This is an amazing way to have big, bold braids, even if you have medium to fine or shorter hair!
- Start by making two ponytails. One on top of the other.
- Separate the top ponytail into two sections.
- Pull the bottom ponytail up through the middle of the top two sections.
- Clip into place.
- Combine the two sections of the top ponytail with a new section underneath the bottom ponytail, creating a new one.
- Repeat steps 2 to 5 for the second ponytail.
- You can pull out the sides of each at the end or when you complete each one.
#10: Find Your Favorite Heatless Curl Method
Hot styling is harsh, especially on a daily basis. It’s always good to experiment with multiple tutorials on getting heatless curls. For example, you can use torn tights instead of flexi rods. Daisy Wolanski’s video looks very promising!
Which hairstyling hack will you try first? Be sure to follow me on Instagram for more hair hacks, as well as braiding and updo tutorials!