Long bob, or lob if you will, is the effortlessly chic and low maintenance haircut. It can get boring only if you don’t know how to style it. I was an assistant of Jen Atkin, who basically invented lobs. Now I’m a celebrity hairstylist who’s been rocking long bob for years! Believe me, I have a huge arsenal of styling tips and ideas on how to style a lob. Watch my 1-minute how-to videos and read step-by-step tutorials!
12 Hairstyles for Long Bob Haircut
Want to take your lob to a whole new level? These hair ideas will make your life easy and diverse. In the descriptions, I mention products that I use and love, but you can always replace my picks with your alternatives. Happy styling!
#1: Double Twisted Buns
Take your second day hair to double twisted buns!
- Dry shampoo your roots. I use R+Co Death Valley Dry Shampoo.
- Add some Amika Vandal Volume Powder Spray at roots for grit and texture.
- Twist first section into bun and pin into place, followed by the second section.
- Pull hair pieces out around hairline.
- Use Bumble and Bumble Strong Finish hairspray for hold.
- Finish by accessorizing your double twisted buns. I personally like pearl pins by Chloe and Isabel x Jen Atkin.
#2: Accessorized Wavy Look
- Create waves using InStyler Cerasilk curling iron by wrapping the hair around the rod and holding the ends out.
- Spray your favorite texturizer and use Ouai Matte Pomade to smooth flyaways and create definition.
- Tuck the hair behind ear and add bobby pins to accessorize.
#3: Simple Braided Top Knot
- Brush hair out and create a half up half down pony.
- Add remaining hair up into half pony and secure with band.
- Spray IGK texturizer to ponytail and then braid.
- Twist the braid into desired placement and secure with pins.
- Spray ColorWow hairspray to fine tooth comb and brush flyaways!
#4: Simple Voluminous Blowout
- Prep DAMP hair with ColorWow Raise The Root spray to thicken and lift from roots to ends. Then apply IGK Cry Baby Serum to smooth mid lengths and ends.
- Start blow drying using InStyler Turbo Ionic Blow Dryer. To achieve volume while blow drying, flip hair upside down and focus at the root until 90% dry, then flip back up and continue blow drying the opposite direction that the hair falls.
- Smooth ends out using Ibiza boar bristle round brush to create shine and smoothness.
- Blow dry the top section of hair starting at the crown and pulling straight up to achieve volume.
- Lastly, blow dry the front section away from the face.
#5: Flirty High Pony
- Pull face framing layers out and clip away.
- Create high pony and secure in place using a Bungee Band.
- Create waves and texture in pony using InStyler Cerasilk curling iron.
- Add volume and body with The Ouai texturizer.
- Unclip the face framing layers and create a loose wave (if the curl is too tight, run the iron over the strand to slightly straighten it out).
- Add extra volume by backcombing at the base of the ponytail.
- Finish by pinning up any flyaways in the back.
#6: Natural Waves Using a Diffuser
- On damp hair apply The Ouai Air Dry Foam from roots to ends.
- Fold hair up from ends to roots and hold in place while the diffuser is over the top facing down.
- Continue to diffuse the hair with InStyler Turbo blow dryer through the hair until 90% dry.
- Apply Hair Rituel by Sisley Oil to smooth and moisturize.
- Spray The Ouai Texturizer from roots to ends for volume.
#7: Wet Look
- Create waves using the InStyler Cerasilk curling iron.
- Shake the waves out to break them up.
- Mix Kerastase Forme Fatal gel and The Ouai Hair Oil and apply roots through ends! I apply the product section by section to ensure even application.
- Add pin clips to the front section to help achieve the look.
- Set the look on the cool setting using the InStyler Turbo Ionic blow dryer.
- Finish with your favorite hairspray for hold.
#8: Workout Hair with Silky Scrunchie
- Form a tight yet messy high bun.
- Dress it up with a silky scrunchie and pin up fly aways & short hair with fancy barrettes.
#9: Half Pony
- Get the Look by using the InStyler Prime tool to smooth hair and create flips.
- Flip hair upside down and create half pony from ear to ear.
- Secure at the crown using your favorite scrunchie.
- Finish with The Ouai Dry Shampoo for volume and fluff.
#10: 90’s Vibe Blowout
- Create your side part keeping the volume (backcombing at the top if needed).
- Smooth and curl hair under using the InStyler Airless Blowout Revolving Styler to create hairstyle.
- Spray The Ouai Dry Shampoo throughout hair for body.
- Back comb at the ends of the hair for fullness.
- Finish with IGK Flexible Hold hairspray to hold the look.
#11: Wavy Top Knot
- Begin by pulling hair back to create a ponytail and securing into place.
- Curl the hair starting in the nape using the @instylerhair Cerasilk Curling Iron holding the ends of the hair out to keep them straight.
- Curl the hair in alternate directions to keep more of a textured look.
- Continue curling on the other side starting in the nape working in sections toward the top.
- Curl hair in ponytail to give texture to what will be the top knot and then back comb for volume and spray ColorWow Style on Steroids texture spray.
- Twist ponytail into a bun and secure with French pins.
- Spray IGK Jet Lag dry shampoo through roots through ends for body.
- Accessorize and shake your hair up!
#12: Flat Iron Curls
- Curl the hair in different directions and then flat iron the ends straight for an edgy look.
- Finish the look using Oribe Flash Form Finishing Wax and The Ouai Textured Foam. Apply the foam until completely dry.
Are you ready to rock your long bob? Follow me on Instagram for newest celebrity hairstyles and simple yet chic tutorials on how to style a lob!