There are a multitude of ways, techniques and remedies to care for your hair. If you prefer natural products, organic oils offer the best results. Olive oil for hair care can give your locks multiple benefits and improve existing hair conditions. Olive oil can be used for natural hair, for hair growth and as a solution for hair loss.
Olive Oil for Hair Growth
There may be many reasons why you would want to grow your hair. Perhaps, you simply desire a longer length or, maybe, it’s more serious, such as you are a sufferer of a hair loss condition like alopecia. Whatever the reason is, one of the easiest and healthiest ways to do it is to incorporate olive oil into your hair care routine.
The scalp greatly benefits from the use of olive oil that also improves the growth of stronger hair. The conditioning properties of olive oil are totally natural, which allows it to fully moisturize and penetrate the scalp in a healthy way. If you are looking to prevent or cure hair loss or even use olive oil for your hair growth, it is a fantastic product to apply regularly, since it inhibits the production of the hormone DHT (dihydrotestosterone), responsible for hair loss.
Olive oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties that fight off common scalp and hair problems. Head lice and dandruff can also be prevented by applying olive oil regularly. These reasons may seem technical, but the overall message remains, and that is using olive oil for hair is beneficial even if you apply it in the smallest amounts.
Benefits of Olive Oil
Is olive oil good for your hair? When you decide to embark on a new hair treatment, it’s essential to understand all about the product, including its benefits. In this case, the advantages of using olive oil for hair are pretty impressive and could probably convince anyone to give it a try. So what does it actually do?
- Strengthens Hair – Everyone wants strong, healthy hair, and using olive oil is a great way to achieve that. The oil eliminates breakage of hair shafts and treats brittleness.
- Produces Shine and Softness – Since it’s a natural conditioner, olive oil easily prevents dryness of the scalp and hair. The end result is soft, shiny, manageable hair that looks like you just stepped out of the salon.
- Increases Blood Circulation – To ensure healthy hair growth, the improved blood circulation to the scalp is essential. Luckily, olive oil stimulates the blood flow to the scalp, so the hair gets enough nutrients. To fully reap the benefits of olive oil hair treatment, you should massage the oil into your scalp on a regular basis.
- Tames Frizz – Applying olive oil in hair makes it nice, smooth and easier to manage. When olive oil moisturizes brittle strands, it also tames the frizz.
Olive Oil for Natural Hair
For natural hair, virgin olive oil is one of the best ways to treat it. Primarily African American women who elect not to use a relaxer on their hair and wear it in its natural state are the best candidates for using olive oil hair treatment on their natural hair. Follow these helpful natural hair tips for using olive oil, and the process will be a breeze.
- Olive Oil Treatment – Use olive oil as a pre-treatment by putting it in a bottle with a narrow spout. Apply directly to the scalp and rub it in. Once you are done with the scalp, work it into the ends of the hair as well. Cover with a plastic cap for no more than 30 minutes, rinse well and wash your hair as normal.
- Aloe Vera/Olive Oil/Water Mix – This hair treatment is easy and incredible in your quest to maintain healthy hair with olive oil. Simply add one part olive oil to five parts of water and a generous amount of Aloe Vera juice. Give your spray bottle a nice shake and spritz the solution on when you need a hair refresher. Refrigerate after use.
How to Use Olive Oil for Your Hair
One of the most important things to know when you decide to use olive oil for your hair is exactly what kind you should buy. It is always best to purchase extra virgin olive oil, because it is not chemically-processed and remains in its purest form. You could also mix EVOO with other essential oils, such as lavender, coconut, peppermint, or almond to create your own signature hair concoction. Additionally, there are various ways to create an olive oil hair mask to encourage healthy hair. It can contain a host of ingredients, but the most popular compounds are olive oil, honey and egg. Draw more ideas for using olive oil hair masks by trying out the following applications.
- As a Conditioner – Mix half a cup of olive oil with one egg yolk and a few drops of lemon juice. Stir well in a bowl and then apply the mixture to your scalp. Leave the conditioner in for 15 minutes and rinse.
- As a Deep Conditioner Paste – Warm half a cup of olive oil in the microwave for 10 seconds. Add a few spoons of honey and half a spoon of cinnamon. Mix into a paste, apply all over hair and leave it in for about 15 minutes. Rinse with shampoo and repeat the process weekly. This is especially great for dry hair.
The abundance of treatments with olive oil may seem a bit overwhelming, but the benefits of adding olive oil to your regular hair care routine are well worth it. Natural ingredients for hair have been used for centuries, producing very impressive results, so it’s no surprise that applying olive oil for hair is no less popular nowadays. So, get a bottle of olive oil and get to work using these tips on your journey to healthy hair!